lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] sending an ip adress to a ethernet box without knowing

From: Leon
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] sending an ip adress to a ethernet box without knowing the ip but the MAC
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 15:09:02 +0100

Hello all,

> address@hidden wrote on Tuesday, November 11, 2003
> 5:50 PM:
>
> > Odds are RARP won't be installed on your windows box unless
> > it's configured as a BOOTP server.
>
> Yup. I had thought about RARP first, too, but then reread his email.
Andreas
> needs a way to get the IP from a peer that he knows the MAC from. If there
> is no BOOTP or DHCP server either in the network or on the peer then RARP
> won't help.

etharp.c can be easily expanded to support this kind of lookup.

Be sure to configure ARP_ALWAYS_INSERT  (from heart) to 1, so that all
traffic on the Ethernet causes the MACs to be cached.

There is no query method implemented (for actively asking the network hosts
who belongs with the known MAC). Which RFC should this be from?

Regards,

Leon.