lwip-members

[lwip-members] Ported lwIP to RT-Linux: ¿?Modified BSD=?ISO-8859-1?Q?li

From: Kieran Mansley
Subject: [lwip-members] Ported lwIP to RT-Linux: ¿?Modified BSD=?ISO-8859-1?Q?license=BF??= (fwd)
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 09:24:43 +0000 (GMT)

> Hello, Kieran. It seems that Adam is not in touch, would you please
> answer my question??? Thanks
>
> ----- Mensaje reenviado por Sergio PérezAlcañiz
> <address@hidden> -----
> Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2003 15:16:23 +0100 (CET)
> From: Sergio PérezAlcañiz <address@hidden>
> Subject: Ported lwIP to RT-Linux: ¿BF?Modified_B?=SD licenseBF?=BF?=
> To: address@hidden
>
> Hello Adam, my name is Sergio and I've ported lwIP to RT-Linux. At this
> moment I'm writing a web in order to publish my work (I'll send you a
> reference). I've a question: I think I can apply the GLP 2 license to
> the whole code, preserving the name author and adding a changelog, isn't
> it??? What should I do exactly? Do I keep the disclaimer, name author,
> changelog and ... what else?
>
> Thanks by advance.
> ----- Fin del Mensaje reenviado -----

I'm not sure I follow quite what it is you're trying to do, so I've
forwarded this to the developers mailing list in case anyone there has a
better idea.

It sounds like you want to distribute your port of lwIP and you're
wondering what to do about licencing it?  Is this correct?  Firstly, is
there a reason why you want to change the licence to be GPL rather than
the existing BSD-style licence?  You may risk annoying those people who
have developed lwIP if you re-release your port as GPL as some of them
will be unable to use it.  If you must release your changes as GPL, could
you not just release a patch (with whatever licence you want) and the
standard lwIP code (with its existing licence) separately.  If you just
want a way to distribute your port, then we would be happy to merge it
into the tree on savannah.

Hope that helps.

Kieran