lwip-devel

[lwip-devel] [bug #61230] Improve Dual-Stack support for getaddrinfo, re

From: Simon Kueppers
Subject: [lwip-devel] [bug #61230] Improve Dual-Stack support for getaddrinfo, return both IPv4 and IPv6 results
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2021 15:53:40 -0400 (EDT)

Some further notes regarding my first post:
_getaddrinfo_ in server applications (AI_PASSIVE) now works exactly as it
should. The order of AF_INET/AF_INET6 in dual-stack applications can be set
with _LWIP_DNS_API_FAMILIES_LOCAL _(netdb.h).

In client applications, I now implemented the version where two successive DNS
calls to the DNS server are done, when no family is specified in the hints and
lwIP is compiled as dual-stack.
This is wasteful, yes, but I think this is only an edge case. Additionally,
this is something that a more-aware version of the DNS api could work around
by caching both IPv4 and IPv6 addresses when a request to the DNS server is
made.
The order of returned IP addresses can be set with _LWIP_DNS_API_FAMILIES_
(netdb.h)

In the attachment is now the Python script that I used to create the reference
file. I also added the C-code I used to print the results from lwIP.

(file #52061, file #52062)

Additional Item Attachment:

File name: getaddrinfo.py                 Size:2 KB
    <https://file.savannah.nongnu.org/file/getaddrinfo.py?file_id=52061>

File name: getaddrinfo.c                  Size:4 KB
    <https://file.savannah.nongnu.org/file/getaddrinfo.c?file_id=52062>

  <https://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?61230>

  Message sent via Savannah
  https://savannah.nongnu.org/