lwip-devel

[lwip-devel] [bug #58441] Invalid PPP data accumulates forever

From: Sylvain Rochet
Subject: [lwip-devel] [bug #58441] Invalid PPP data accumulates forever
Date: Tue, 26 May 2020 07:49:49 -0400 (EDT)

Update of bug #58441 (project lwip):

                Severity:              3 - Normal => 4 - Important
              Item Group:        Faulty Behaviour => Change Request
             Assigned to:                    None => gradator

Follow-up Comment #1:

Indeed, that can be troublesome for systems with multiple netifs as we do not
have separate Rx pools for interfaces, starving the Rx pool for garbage is not
a really nice behavior. For single netif system that should not be an annoying
problem since the worse that can happen is a failure to allocate the single
PBUF needed for PPPoS Tx when PPPoS Rx is currently filling the last Rx PBUF,
hoping it does not happen at a noticeable rate.

Looks like we need to add a PPPoS MRU (Maximum Receive Unit) size in build
time options to prevent that. Validating early the frame header could prevent
queuing up to the MRU size but by itself is not enough because a very valid
and very long PPP frame can still starve the Rx pool.

Sylvain

  <https://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?58441>

  Message sent via Savannah
  https://savannah.nongnu.org/