lwip-devel

Re: [lwip-devel] Changes in lwip to make it work in the Hurd

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: [lwip-devel] Changes in lwip to make it work in the Hurd
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2017 20:17:57 +0200

Joan Lledó wrote:
The ifupdown system sets the address to IPADDR_NONE before trying to
send the DHCPDISCOVER. But I've reviewed it again and I think I can
solve this problem using the routing hook.

Actually, this is a discrepancy between ifupdown and lwIP which might not work correctly in other places as well? In lwIP, setting an interface address to the broadcast address is basically not supported (i.e. not handled at all). The best I can think of is to translate IPADDR_NONE to 0.0.0.0 (and back again) when setting/getting interface addresses...

2.- We use two different sys_arch_sem_wait() functions in our
sys_arch.c.
There's no question, actually, I thought it could be interesting to
share the case.

Yeah. We keep getting this question on the lists: "how can I unblock select". The answer always is "well, you can't" or "use a loopback socket". Both answers aren't really satisfying. But as lwIP basically doesn't support signals, this was OK so far.

To really make this work correctly, we'd need a "sys_arch_sem_wait_interruptible()" function which would have to be used in more functions... But that would mean a bit more effort (in development and probably in code size) I guess...

And since lwIP was meant for embedded systems, I'm not sure how to fit these two worlds here...

Cheers,
Simon