lwip-devel

Re: [lwip-devel] Removing the restriction on number of sockets

From: Joel Cunningham
Subject: Re: [lwip-devel] Removing the restriction on number of sockets
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2017 09:00:01 -0500

> On Aug 11, 2017, at 3:34 AM, goldsimon <address@hidden> wrote:
>

> Stian Skjelstad wrote:
>> Add support for poll(), which does not have this design issue in the
>> API
>
> That's a good idea, but it's only a workaround. It doesn't keep select usable
> for existing socket API applications.

Agreed, all applications would have to be switched over to using poll()

I don’t see how this issue could be worked around since there is only expected
to be a single instance of LwIP socket layer (and FDs) in the system, not an
instance per process.  For GNU Hurd deployment, is LwIP only being used in a
single process?  Or is there no desire to use select for GNU Hurd?

Another thing to consider might be how LwIP was integrated into MINIX3.  They
wrote their own socket layer and only used LwIP's RAW API.

Joel