lwip-devel

[lwip-devel] [bug #50264] Nomenclature: v4/v6 mapped addresses (low prio

From: David van Moolenbroek
Subject: [lwip-devel] [bug #50264] Nomenclature: v4/v6 mapped addresses (low priority!)
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2017 08:39:54 -0500 (EST)

                 Privacy: Public
             Assigned to: None
             Open/Closed: Open
         Discussion Lock: Any
         Planned Release: None
            lwIP version: git head

Details:

I hate to bring this up, but right now it's probably still early enough to
change without breaking much. The lwIP code consistently uses the term
"IPv6-mapped IPv4 addresses" (and similar) for what are, in fact, "IPv4-mapped
IPv6 addresses", as per RFC 4291 and others. This small mixup is present both
in comments and in the form of macros such as ip6_addr_isipv6mappedipv4 and
ip4_to_ipv6_mapped_ipv4. I think it'd be best to stick to the RFC term.

"git grep -i 'v6.*mapped'" finds most if not all occurrences.

FWIW I have to say that the naming also confuses me - it wasn't until after
several uses of one of those macros that I realized that something was off at
all. This is going to sound stupid, but whenever I need to think of the right
order, it helps to realize that these addresses are all IPv6 addresses, just,
of the "IPv4-mapped" type.

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?50264>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.nongnu.org/