lwip-devel

Re: [lwip-devel] 1.5.x and API?

From: Leon Woestenberg
Subject: Re: [lwip-devel] 1.5.x and API?
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2011 15:29:30 +0200

Hello Kieran,

On Sun, Jun 12, 2011 at 11:00 AM, Kieran Mansley <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 12 Jun 2011, at 00:57, Leon Woestenberg wrote:
>> with the 1.4.0 release out, is HEAD now again headed for 1.5.0 as
>> usual, thus allowing (small) API changes if required?
>
> Correct.  I'd like to keep API changes small, and so allow the next release
> to be 1.4.1 if possible, but with IPv6 support going in I'm not sure that is
> realistic and 1.5.0 could well be the next release.

Ah, so you think you have to choose between those two?

>> I assume 1.4.0 is the branch root point for the API compatible, fixes
>> only, 1.4.x branch, right?
>
> I'm not sure I follow: there are no branches in the lwIP source tree (yet).

Yes there are.

Every 0.x.0 and 1.x.0 release was also a branch point/root for a
stable tree up to 1.1.y.  This allowed concurrent development of
bug-fixes 1.x.1 and new developments on 1.x+1
I named the branch STABLE-1_X, and the branch root tag STABLE-1_X_0
We have seven bugfix only releases in 0.6, 0.7 and 1.1.

In other words:
- we can make a STABLE-1_4 branch that allows bug fixes towards 1.4.1.
 -we can word on HEAD for 1.5.

You don't have to choose then, both developments can continue.

>> Introducing U8_F is an API change in some way, although we can provide
>> sane defaults without breaking existing ports.
>
> If we can do things in a way that doesn't break existing ports then that gets
> my vote.

Regards,
--
Leon