lwip-devel

[lwip-devel] [task #10446] DHCP extensions for AutoIP

From: Bill Auerbach
Subject: [lwip-devel] [task #10446] DHCP extensions for AutoIP
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2010 18:21:41 +0000

                 Privacy: Public
        Percent Complete: 0%
             Assigned to: None
             Open/Closed: Open
         Discussion Lock: Any
         Planned Release: None
                  Effort: 0.00

Details:

In order to be more flexible with lwIP products in the field, I'd like a
little more control over AutoIP.  It's minor but I believe it might help
others.

We have 3 modes of IP Address configuration in our lwIP-based products which
are:

1. DHCP/AutoIP    - DHCP with fallback to AutoIP.
2. DHCP/Static IP - DHCP with fallback to a preconfigured static IP.
3. Static IP

Mode 2 allows use with DHCP and if it's not available the user will know the
static IP address.  To use this mode it would be nice to be able to disable
AutoIP at runtime so I can implement my own DHCP timeout and fall back to the
static address.

Something like dhcp_start_no_autoip would be sufficient.  Maybe it could set
autoip_coop_state to DHCP_AUTOIP_COOP_STATE_DISABLED and simply not start
autoip.  Although AutoIP occurs way later than DHCP and I can timeout before
it starts, I had to shorten LWIP_DHCP_AUTOIP_COOP_TRIES because 30+ seconds to
get an IP address was too long.  Shortening it leaves me in the position to
get an AutoIP address when I want to time out.

Thanks,
Bill

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/task/?10446>

  Message sent via/by Savannah