lwip-devel

Re: [lwip-devel] Mercurial

From: David Woodhouse
Subject: Re: [lwip-devel] Mercurial
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2008 13:44:47 +0000

On Fri, 2008-12-12 at 13:07 +0000, Kieran Mansley wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-12-12 at 12:48 +0000, David Woodhouse wrote:
> > On Fri, 2008-12-12 at 12:17 +0000, Kieran Mansley wrote:
> > >
> > > Please make your opinions known.  Unless there is a strong show of
> > > support for the move, and few objections, I'll leave it as CVS.
> >
> > TBH, unless you're moving to git I'd be inclined to leave it as CVS.
>
> Out of genuine interest, why the special status of git?

Same as CVS really. Life's too short to go learning every new version
control system, especially given that people seem to invent new ones so
often.

I've often just avoided working with a project based on its choice of
version control -- if lwip had been in Mercurial I wouldn't have tried
it. Life's just too short. Not that my contributions so far have been
massive, mind you.

Git does the job, well. It took a while to get Windows support, but even
that's been present for quite a while now. Why bother with anything
different?

Importing an existing CVS repository into git is simple:
        git-cvsimport -d :pserver:address@hidden:/sources/lwip lwip

>  Savannah do
> also offer git and SVN as alternatives.  The main reason we've resisted
> any changes so far is I didn't notice that there was savannah support
> for anything other than CVS.  As I said, we'll be staying with CVS
> unless there is strong support and few objections to changing.

There are two options for backward compatibility that you could consider
-- it doesn't _have_ to be a flag day.

One is that you can just keep running git-cvsimport from a cron job,
importing new commits as they happen. So you end up with a git
repository which tracks the contents of CVS.

Another is to use the cvs server functionality which git offers
(assuming Savannah lets you do that). That gives CVS clients read-only
access to the git repository.

The first option has worked well for a bunch of people. You run the git
tree in parallel, and actually commit to CVS. And then one day you just
stop committing to the old CVS repository, and just commit to the git
tree...

--
dwmw2