lwip-devel

[lwip-devel] [patch #6594] memp.c with standard C-library

From: Simon Goldschmidt
Subject: [lwip-devel] [patch #6594] memp.c with standard C-library
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 10:36:01 +0000

Follow-up Comment #1, patch #6594 (project lwip):

Just to ensure I understood this: you want to use malloc/free for
memp_malloc/memp_free?

Until now, we kind of have been going in the opposite direction: we trie to
eliminate most calls to mem_malloc to be able to completely eliminate heap
usage in lwIP. The reason for this is to allow targets to avoid using the
compiler's heap implementation as it is often very big (in code size) and slow
(which is true for every heap, I guess).

Pools are faster and have a more determined behavior than the heap, which is
why I wouldn't use it that way.

On the other hand, in an environment where you don't care about the benefits
you get from usin pools, you could really save some code bytes... But in this
case, do you really need those ~200 bytes you save when abandoning the memp
code?

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/patch/?6594>

  Nachricht geschickt von/durch Savannah
  http://savannah.nongnu.org/