lwip-devel

[lwip-devel] [bug #23726] pbuf pool exhaustion on slow recv()

From: Kieran Mansley
Subject: [lwip-devel] [bug #23726] pbuf pool exhaustion on slow recv()
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2008 12:03:49 +0000

This is one of those weaknesses in our sockets layer that is close to the
point where we say that the complexity to fix it is not worth the extra code,
and that the lwIP sockets layer isn't going to work in all corner cases.

However, the correct solution is definitely to do SO_RCVBUF, or possibly your
last solution where we stop enqueueing packets on a socket when it has got
more than a fraction of the total pbufs already queued.

The second solution you suggest of cleaning up packets is not good in that
we'll be binning data that has been acknowledged, thus potentially leading to
data corruption.  This might be better than the stack locking up altogether,
but not by much!  I'd much prefer any solution that relies on throwing away
received packets to do so early, i.e. before they are acknowledged.

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?23726>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.nongnu.org/