lwip-devel

[lwip-devel] [task #7017] Implement DNS client

From: Jonathan Larmour
Subject: [lwip-devel] [task #7017] Implement DNS client
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 03:44:49 +0000

Unfortunately per-thread info isn't really sensible here - it is not just the
struct hostent that needs to be per-thread, but the contents of all the
pointers it points to.

This constraint (not being thread-safe) of gethostbyname is widely known and
any existing code should already be aware of it. People writing new code for
lwIP should read some documentation so they know it isn't thread-safe :-).

Some implementations provide an alternative gethostbyname_r function, e.g.
from glibc:

       int gethostbyname_r (const char *name,
         struct hostent *ret, char *buf, size_t buflen,
         struct hostent **result, int *h_errnop);

Officially, the new API to sort this out is getaddrinfo() (and getnameinfo()
for the equivalent of gethostbyaddr()). I'm not sure it's worth the pain, and
doing a gethostbyname_r() may be fine for most people in practice. I'm
undecided on that personally, but I think this should not hold up 1.3.

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/task/?7017>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.nongnu.org/