lwip-devel

Re: [lwip-devel] 1.3.0

From: Simon Goldschmidt
Subject: Re: [lwip-devel] 1.3.0
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2007 09:26:11 +0100

Am 08.11.2007 um 04:35 schrieb David Empson:

Simon Goldschmidt <address@hidden> wrote:
when did you plan to move on to 1.3.0? There are a couple of bugs open that are planned for 1.3.0, most of them are issues in the TCP part.

As I don't see me having plenty of time to fix TCP bugs for the next months (since I have a 'real job', hehe - unfortunately, I'd love to work on those), I'd love to see 1.3.0 without the TCP fixes just to get a new release out with the numerous fixes 1.3.0 would include compared to 1.2.0!

If the TCP bugs are long standing, not easy to fix/test quickly, and fixing them will not involve changing any of the APIs, then I agree: release 1.3.0 and defer fixing those bugs until (say) 1.3.1.

That's the reason I would leave them until after 1.3.0: I don't think they are so easy to fix. After all, you have to test them in quite a few situations. AND the fixes that are open now don't require API changes.

On the other hand, Kieran has already decided that tasks #7235 and #7244 should be delayed until after 1.3.0 (since this looks like a lot of work or at least test overhead for different ports). So we already have tasks in queue that will change the API again.

Keeping these in mind, I don't think we can fix all bugs / finish all tasks before providing a new stable version. I just feel one year since the last one is long enough and we already have big optimizations since 1.2.0 that could be interesting to many people not using CVS versions.

Simon