lwip-devel

[lwip-devel] [patch #6253] Added csum to struct pbuf.

From: Jonathan Larmour
Subject: [lwip-devel] [patch #6253] Added csum to struct pbuf.
Date: Thu, 01 Nov 2007 13:54:53 +0000

Follow-up Comment #7, patch #6253 (project lwip):

[ Moving mail from lwip-devel to the patch, to keep discussion in one place
]
Andrey Volkov wrote:
> Jonathan Larmour wrote:
>> struct pbuf is very good right now for being exactly 32 bytes,
>> which is very amenable to keeping pbuf buffer pools aligned on
>> hardware that supports DMA - usually there are alignment
>> constraints, particularly if caching is also involved, in
>> which case you have to keep packet data and other data
>> including struct pbuf itself) in different cache lines.
> But I don't change size of pbuf everywhere, they changed only
> if someone defined CHECKSUM_HARDWARE_SUPPORT (and
> LWIP_PBUF_CB_SIZE, which i plan to introduce in next patch).

Indeed I'm aware - that's why I was pointing out the issues even when it's an
option.

>> Now this isn't something which
>> is very easy in lwIP at the moment, but only because it's
>> been deliberately postponed until after 1.3. I think there's
>> a task for it somewhere. But I have made my own modifications
>> in my source base, and when the time comes after 1.3, I was
>> going to raise the issue.
>>
>> So increasing its size should be avoided if at all possible.
>> Even an option isn't so good - some hardware has
>> hardware-assisted checksum computation, and devices like that
>> would probably support DMA too.
>> But I think there are further issues that make such a change
>> difficult - this causes every pbuf that is to be sent to be
>> increased too. And every pbuf in a pbuf chain, when there only
>> need be one per whole packet.
>>
> No, each packet should contain this field, since, if yore hwd.
> have support of csum/DMA, then your PBUF_POOL_BUFSIZE will be
> equal to eth frame size, isn't it?

No it isn't. Some MACs I have worked have either hard fixed buffer sizes of
low granularity (e.g. 128 bytes), some have soft configurable fixed sizes (so
you can make them chains of whatever size you like, and the hardware will only
consume as many as it needs), and a few have been fixed at the full ethernet
frame size. The last is of course very wasteful of memory.

If alignment is an issue, then that would be a time to append the checksum to
the end of the packet. Then alignment is unaffected.

>> There are other possibilities, but the one that occurs to me
>> most is to include the checksum in the pbuf contents
>> somewhere, either the start or end. This fact could be
>> indicated by a pbuf flag (or two, if you want to allow choice
>> of start or end).
>>
> If you add 'abstract' control block, you are lost alignment in
> worst case too. So I don't see difference from my suggestion.

pbufs already have flags. My proposal does not increase the struct pbuf
size.

Jifl

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/patch/?6253>

  Message sent via/by Savannah