lwip-devel

[lwip-devel] [patch #5914] Move sockopt processing into tcpip_thread

From: Jonathan Larmour
Subject: [lwip-devel] [patch #5914] Move sockopt processing into tcpip_thread
Date: Fri, 04 May 2007 10:14:50 +0000

Follow-up Comment #7, patch #5914 (project lwip):

IMHO tcpip_callback() is better here. If it's integrated directly into
api_msg.c, then the code is present for everyone. With tcpip_callback() it's
only present for those using setsockopt() (or for compilers that don't yet
have sensible linking, the socket API at least).

This is one of the problems with the socket API (not just the lwIP
implementation of it) in general. It pulls in all sorts of functionality
because everything channels through the same small set of functions; even
though that functionality is never needed.

Unofficially, someone can access PCBs if they disable tasking themselves
temporarily, or use tcpip_callback themselves.

In due course I'm sure it makes sense for netconn to also have a way to set
options, although I wouldn't want to channel them all through a single
function like BSD does. But let's not worry about that now.

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/patch/?5914>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.nongnu.org/