lwip-devel

[lwip-devel] SSL for lwIP (new project?)

From: Brian White
Subject: [lwip-devel] SSL for lwIP (new project?)
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 16:23:56 -0400

I searched Google, but couldn't find any information on an SSL implementation for lwIP.

The one refernce I did find was that SSL was probably too big for most embedded systems. Having written a proof-of-concept SSL implementation on a 20MHz 8032 and watched it take 5 minutes to do one-half of a diffie-hellman key exchange, I can tell you this is true for the very low end.

However, many modern embedded micros (such as the BlackFin) have sufficient power to do these computations in seconds instead of minutes and a light-weight SSL implementation is possible (and sometimes even required) for products based on such.

So, since Kadak wants $25,000 for their KwikNet SSL (plus $11,000 for basic TCP/IP), I'm looking to add SSL to the lwIP system.

Is there anybody out there interested in working on this with me?

If I can get some help implementing it, then we'll release the finished work under the same license as lwIP itself: free for everyone to use. If I have to do it all myself on company time, then it's pretty likely that my boss will tell me to keep it proprietary.

My qualifications: I've written a complete TCP/IP implementation for our 8032-based product line, including IPsec, IKE, and SSL (the last two being too slow to be practical). However, I currently know zero about lwIP specifically.

Here's hoping! ...

                                          Brian
                                 ( address@hidden )

     measure with micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with axe, hope like hell