lwip-devel

[lwip-devel] LwIP under Linux 2.6.X

From: Andrew
Subject: [lwip-devel] LwIP under Linux 2.6.X
Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 04:25:48 +0100 (BST)

HI!

   I want to make work the LwIP with the Linux 2.6.10
on an ARM based platform.
The network interface cannot be opened by a user level
program(such as LwIP)by doing an open on
"/dev/eth0".In such a situation ,Could anyone please
tell me what can be the best way to interface LwIP
with the Ethernet driver in Linux?

1. Would developing a new driver on the top of the
existing network interface layer be a good Idea?
This driver will expose Poisx APIs
open,close,read,write IOCTL calls and will internally
use the standard service routines(defined in struct
net_device) provoded by a network interface driver in
Linux.
This would ease up deeloping a network interface
driver by using the skeleton ethernetif.c in LwIP.

OR

2. Developing a totally new Ethernet device driver
within the ethernetif.c would be better Idea. This
driver would not have any other layer or driver at its
bottom, but would communicate woth the network
interface controller directly.

OR

3. By Using sockets of type SOCK_PACKET would be a
betterh idea.

OR

4. Is there any aother better and efficient approach
which any body has already followed for integrating
LwIP with Linux or the approach which any body would
suggest?

Thanking in Advacnce,

regards

-Nitin