lwip-devel

[lwip-devel] etharp oddity

From: Mountifield, Tony
Subject: [lwip-devel] etharp oddity
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 15:32:33 +0100

I've just resumed working on lwip after a break of almost 3 months, and have
updated my sources to CVS HEAD as of yesterday.

It seems on my lwip system that every outbound packet causes an ARP request for
the recipient, even though the ARP table contains the recipient's information
already.

Looking at etharp.c, in the function etharp_output(), unicast packets get
passed onto etharp_query(), with either their own IP address or that of the
default gateway. etharp_query() causes an ARP request to *always* be sent, for
*every* packet, before it even checks the ARP table! This doesn't seem right.

I would have thought the desired behaviour is to only send an ARP query if
there is no matching entry in the Stable state. Comments?

Cheers
Tony
--
Tony Mountifield
Contractor @ Tandberg TV

This email, its content and any attachments is PRIVATE AND
CONFIDENTIAL to TANDBERG Television. If received in error please
notify the sender and destroy the original message and attachments.

www.tandbergtv.com