lmi

Re: [lmi] Showing better icons in high DPI

From: Greg Chicares
Subject: Re: [lmi] Showing better icons in high DPI
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2022 00:58:14 +0000

On 1/11/22 11:05 PM, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:

>  One of the important new features in (the still not released but really
> close to being to, this time for real) wx 3.1.6 is the possibility to
> define bitmaps of different sizes for the same "logical" bitmap in
> different resolutions. I.e. instead of scaling up a 16x16 bitmap by a
> factor of 2 when using 200% DPI scaling or, worse, scaling it up by a
> factor of 1.5, which looks really ugly, when using 150% scaling, the
> application can define 16x16 bitmap, 32x32 bitmap and 24x24 bitmap and the
> appropriate one will be selected during run-time

BTW, in gwc/16/ and gwc/24/ we have gnome originals of various icons
that have been copied or adapted for lmi. Their provenance is given in
'README'; perhaps gnome has SVG versions.

>  This is nice, but requires providing at least 2, and maybe more, versions
> of the same bitmap. An alternative solution is to provide a single vector
> image instead, in SVG format. In lmi case I think SVG images would be more
> appropriate,

Sounds good to me.

> as the icons being used are not very detailed (this is just an
> expression of lmi minimalistic style and I intend no offense here) and so
> should rasterize quite well, i.e. without too much blurring.

Minimalism rasterizes far better than effete bourgeois sentimentality.

>  So I'd like to extend the code in icon_monger to try to load an SVG file,
> if it exists, first, and convert at least a couple (and ideally more, and
> maybe even all) icons to this format, so that they will look (much) better
> in high DPI. This doesn't have to be done immediately but OTOH it might be
> better to do it together with wx submodule update to allow testing both
> changes at once.

No objection.

>  What do you think about this, i.e. would you accept such a change at all

Sure.

> and, if you would, should I do it together with the wx update or later?

On that last issue, I have no opinion.