lmi

Re: [lmi] Best way to integrate PCRE

From: Greg Chicares
Subject: Re: [lmi] Best way to integrate PCRE
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2021 16:10:34 +0000

On 2021-07-28 14:44, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:

>  I've agonized so long over this question

Then it's good that you raise it now. TL;DR:
  Alexander : Gordian knot :: us : this

> [...] in the native Linux
> builds we could install libpcre2-8 from the system package and use this one
> instead. This is appealing because it's simpler and faster (although
> building PCRE doesn't take long, it's C code and so is fast to compile),
> but OTOH it could result in different versions of PCRE being used in Linux
> and MSW versions.
AIUI, this affects only 'test_coding_rules' directly, and
therefore 'hooks/pre-commit' indirectly. The solution is
to withdraw msw support for those things. Kim and I never
commit on any platform other than pc-linux-gnu; neither
do we ever need to run 'test_coding_rules.exe'. Instead,
let's provide only an ELF 'test_coding_rules', and expunge
the corresponding msw binary utterly and forever.