lmi

Re: [lmi] First experience with std::regex from gcc 11 and CTRE in test_

From: Vadim Zeitlin
Subject: Re: [lmi] First experience with std::regex from gcc 11 and CTRE in test_coding_rules
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2021 02:55:30 +0200

On Wed, 2 Jun 2021 22:38:09 +0000 Greg Chicares <gchicares@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

GC> On 6/2/21 8:56 PM, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
[...]
GC> >  But by far the main problem with CTRE are compile times.

 Sorry, I forgot to mention that there is another rather annoying problem
with it that I discovered today: it doesn't seem to properly support
backtracking, i.e. "a.*b" is never going to find anything because ".*"
will consume "b". This could be a blessing in disguise because we'd need to
rewrite all inefficient regexes that rely on it to avoid backtracking
completely and we can only gain in performance while doing it, but it has
been a source of several problems that were not that simple to find and
sometimes writing regexes using backtracking can be sufficiently simpler
and more clear than avoiding them.

VZ