lmi

Re: [lmi] [lmi-commits] master 0c2d6b4 30/33: Revert "Revert "Trap excep

From: Vadim Zeitlin
Subject: Re: [lmi] [lmi-commits] master 0c2d6b4 30/33: Revert "Revert "Trap exceptions from filesystem library""
Date: Fri, 14 May 2021 15:38:46 +0200

On Mon,  3 May 2021 08:15:56 -0400 (EDT) Greg Chicares
<gchicares@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

GC> branch: master
GC> commit 0c2d6b415b881858794a2a9713eac962f8f54a45
GC> Author: Gregory W. Chicares <gchicares@sbcglobal.net>
GC> Commit: Gregory W. Chicares <gchicares@sbcglobal.net>
GC>
GC>     Revert "Revert "Trap exceptions from filesystem library""
GC>
GC>     This reverts commit dab074e388422f328933752ae6965560e2c9a62e.
GC>
GC>     Apparently that commit was intended as a simplification only: it removed
GC>     complicated code that couldn't actually have any effect. Normally, that
GC>     would be accepted without question. Furthermore, the code it removed
GC>     made configurable_settings fragile, as discussed in this thread:
GC>       https://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/lmi/2020-10/msg00037.html
GC>     and, normally, that would cause it to be embraced with enthusiasm.
GC>
GC>     However, given '/opt/lmi/data/configurable_settings.xml' contents:
GC>       <default_input_filename>Z:/etc/opt/lmi/default.ill</default_input_...
GC>       <print_directory>Z:/opt/lmi/print</print_directory>
GC>     lmi-gtk's GUI now shows
GC>       Input defaults: /opt/lmi/bin/Z:/etc/opt/lmi/default.ill
GC>       Printout directory: /opt/lmi/print
GC>     where one textcontrol is as intended but the other is not. It is not
GC>     clear whether the reverted commit has anything to do with that, but
GC>     it seems wise to back it out temporarily pending investigation of this
GC>     anomaly. The present commit can be reverted (enthusiastically) later.

 I'd like to debug and really fix this, but first of all I'd like to
understand what exactly are we trying to do here, i.e. which control is
considered to be "as intended" and which one is not? I think the bottom is
meant to be the good one, but I'm not totally sure, could you please
confirm this? And, if if this is indeed the intended/correct version, is
the intention to only hide "Z:" in the UI or to also remove it from the
configuration file as well?

 I'd also like to note that I don't see any differences in behaviour with
and without this commit (i.e. 0c2d6b415b881858794a2a9713eac962f8f54a45),
i.e. I still see the path with "Z:" in the middle even with the current
master, including it -- just as I see the same path if I revert this commit
(thus re-re-reverting the original change). Could you also please confirm
that this commit really does change the behaviour for you, because I just
don't see how it can and maybe I'm just misunderstanding something here?

 Finally, I'd like to say (once again? I don't remember if I have already
written this, sorry if I'm repeating myself) that I think that
remove_alien_msw_root() shouldn't exist at all because IMO the paths should
never be mangled in this way and the right solution would be to use
different data directories for the MSW and native versions to prevent them
from overwriting each others files. This is especially true if you really
want to remove "Z:" from the configuration file too, as this would mean
that running MSW version after running the Linux one wouldn't work.

 Thanks,
VZ