lmi

Re: [lmi] PATCH: Fix CI after C++20 and fs::path changes

From: Vadim Zeitlin
Subject: Re: [lmi] PATCH: Fix CI after C++20 and fs::path changes
Date: Thu, 13 May 2021 00:49:20 +0200

On Wed, 12 May 2021 22:40:25 +0000 Greg Chicares <gchicares@sbcglobal.net>
wrote:

GC> On 5/12/21 7:15 PM, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
GC> >
GC> >  My branch with the changes, which should be accessible as xanadu/ci-cxx20
GC>
GC> ...has been pushed. Thanks.

 Thanks for doing it so quickly!

GC>   commit aa750df5dbcc48dfc52bf6d5f48a2dafc11d4a26
GC>   Work around global_settings_test failure in autotools builds
GC>
GC> I think that's unnecessary since
GC>   6303f4a2 Make a unit test more robust
GC> and can be reverted at your leisure.

 Oops, yes, I planned to revert it, but didn't write it down and so
completely forgot about it, thanks for the reminder. I'll do it a bit later
or tomorrow.

GC>   commit d09dfcef442a5d873b56449743c58d9135e2426f
GC>   Merge lmi directories creation step with the system setup one
GC>   This commit is best viewed with --color-moved git option.
GC>
GC> I have long since made that my default:
GC>   git config --global diff.colormoved plain
GC> so you needn't write that comment just for me, though you may
GC> want to for the rest of the world.

 To be honest, the rest of the world I care about the most is myself. But
in my generous benevolence I also share this useful information with the
others (especially considering that this is the best way not to lose it).
If this doesn't bother you, I'd like to continue doing this, but if it does
I could switch to my personal git-notes (persistent information attached to
the commits).

GC> BTW, I've also found this setting very handy:
GC>   git config --global commit.verbose true
GC> and I've never had any reason to override either of those settings.

 I do use this setting too, but I did regret it a couple of times when
committing a lot of changes -- i.e. so much that Vim was taking a long time
to syntax highlight them all. Of course, such commits shouldn't normally
happen, but at least with wx they regularly do, as it contains plenty of
generated files. Still, on balance, it's more useful to have it than not.

 Thanks again!
VZ