lmi

Re: [lmi] Branch lmi-so

From: Vadim Zeitlin
Subject: Re: [lmi] Branch lmi-so
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2020 02:22:47 +0200

On Mon, 19 Oct 2020 23:48:14 +0000 Greg Chicares <gchicares@sbcglobal.net>
wrote:

GC> I'm always reluctant to eradicate a debugged solution to an old problem,

 Yes, I definitely know what you mean -- which is why I've only just
finally removed what I think are the last vestiges of support for gcc 2.95
in wxWidgets (which is incredible enough that I'm writing this entire
email just to brag about it).

GC> because sometimes old problems come back to life and the old weapons we
GC> used to defeat them become useful again. I think of the time I had an
GC> infection that was resistant to all the usual antibiotics, but was cured
GC> by an older antibiotic that the largest US pharmacy chain didn't even
GC> keep in stock. At least it wasn't chloramphenicol.

 OTOH I've never thought about applying software design principles to
health care. Maybe I was wrong...

GC> So I'll keep it, but with an implausible preprocessor conditional.
GC> Pushing soon, after the tests finish.

 This looks perfectly reasonable to me, thanks,
VZ