lmi

[lmi] GUI on corporate server? [Was: Using Git submodules for the depend

From: Greg Chicares
Subject: [lmi] GUI on corporate server? [Was: Using Git submodules for the dependencies]
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2020 20:52:54 +0000

On 2019-09-23 18:48, Greg Chicares wrote:
> On 2019-09-21 21:48, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
>> On Fri, 20 Sep 2019 18:45:06 +0000 Greg Chicares <gchicares@sbcglobal.net>
>> wrote:
[...]
>> GC> If my debian system had no GUI; and forced me to use a
>> GC> little rubber keyboard with no Ins key at all (while many
>> GC> other keys require Fn, like Fn+UpArrow = PgUp), and a
>> GC> tiny screen, and a touchpad; and terminated any session
>> GC> after 15 minutes of inactivity--then I'd find debian
>> GC> pretty hard to use, too.
>>
>>  Sorry if I'm just being obtuse, but why can't you ssh into this system
>> from a machine with a larger screen and better pointing device?
>
> I'm not sure that's possible. I think it may be accessible
> only on an intranet, through a VPN.

I'd like to reopen this discussion, because it's really inconvenient
to use this corporate server without any GUI:
 - can't run any decent file manager
 - can't run lmi's automated GUI tests
 - can't run lmi's own GUI under 'wine'
The hardware issues mentioned above can potentially be worked around
with a docking station to link a laptop to decent peripherals, but
the lack of any GUI is painful.

Even if the requirement of a VPN turns out to prevent accessing this
server from a non-corporate PC, shouldn't it be somehow possible to
get an XWindow GUI running on a corporate msw-10 PC that is already
set up to access the linux server? Right now, we're using
 - putty for a terminal
 - winscp for file transfers via SFTP
This article:
  https://superuser.com/questions/119792/how-to-use-x11-forwarding-with-putty
suggests that we'd need to
 - get an msw-based X server, which I'm sure we could get; and
 - enable X11 forwarding in putty, which I had thought was blocked,
   but following the screenshot in the above article I see that it
   is available
Is it as easy as that sounds?