lmi

Re: [lmi] [lmi-commits] master 6fa7a46 1/2: Add a git post-checkout hook

From: Vadim Zeitlin
Subject: Re: [lmi] [lmi-commits] master 6fa7a46 1/2: Add a git post-checkout hook
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2020 17:08:39 +0200

On Thu, 24 Sep 2020 23:40:32 +0000 Greg Chicares <gchicares@sbcglobal.net>
wrote:

GC> Speed. I often compare two 128-MB directories of regression
GC> tests, for example, and it's distressing to watch them load
GC> slowly. (You might think that regression-test output would
GC> always have different timestamps than saved "touchstone"
GC> results, but...well, no, not always, for reasons that are
GC> important to me but not really worth explaining.) Ignoring
GC> files that have the same timestamp is a useful option.

 I still don't know which diff program do you use, but if it's anything
Unix-native (and not e.g. something you run under Wine), there is a pretty
universal way to make it do whatever you want to by using LD_PRELOAD with
your own tiny shared library making stat() return whatever you want, e.g.
the time of another file with the same name in a different directory.

 Of course, maybe you hook is a good enough solution already, but
personally I just like (ab)using LD_PRELOAD for things like this, so I
thought I'd share this idea just in case you find it as appealing as I do.

 Regards,
VZ