lmi

Re: [lmi] Yet another census view UI question: starting editing with spa

From: Vadim Zeitlin
Subject: Re: [lmi] Yet another census view UI question: starting editing with space
Date: Sun, 21 Jun 2020 01:13:40 +0200

On Sat, 20 Jun 2020 20:17:02 +0000 Greg Chicares <gchicares@sbcglobal.net>
wrote:

GC> Does wxGrid support Alt-Backspace as well as Ctrl-Z?

 Yes, it does (this is just native MSW behaviour, which wx faithfully
preserves), but there is annoying beep when it's used. The funny thing is
that when, after debugging its provenance for some time, I've decided to
check why it doesn't happen in the native programs, I discovered that it
did also happen in them -- e.g. if you open a file "Properties" dialog in
Explorer, change the file name and press Alt-Backspace, you will see that
it undoes the changes, but also beeps. So it could be argued that beeping
is actually the native behaviour that we should conform to, but I'm tempted
to say that, this once, it should be seen as a native bug and that we
should work around it at wx level and I've tentatively done this and this
should be included in the wx version that we'll have to upgrade to in order
to fix this and many other annoyances/bugs related to wxGrid before
starting to use it in lmi.

GC> Alt-Shift-Backspace (undo) would also be nice.

 This should have been "(redo)", right? In any case, the native (single
line) text control has only a single of undo, so redo is the same as undo
(undoing the undo operation) and so Alt-Shift-Backspace does "work", but
only in the sense that it does the same thing as Alt-Backspace.

GC> Oh, and I'd hope that the usual CUA keys:
GC>   Shift+Del = cut
GC>   Ctrl+Ins  = copy
GC>   Shift+Ins = paste
GC> would work by default.

 Yes, those work as expected in the native control and hence in lmi too
and, not involving Alt, they also don't produce any beeps.

GC> >  So I'd like to ask you for help: do you have any preferences here? In the
GC> > absence of any strong opinions in either direction, I'm probably going to
GC> > leave the new behaviour as it is right now, because this is what wxGrid
GC> > does by default, and so doesn't require any extra code to implement. But
GC> > please let me know if you think differently.
GC>
GC> Perfect.

 Thanks for confirming this!
VZ