lmi

Re: [lmi] Correctness and performance of varying column width mode in th

From: Greg Chicares
Subject: Re: [lmi] Correctness and performance of varying column width mode in the census view
Date: Sat, 30 May 2020 16:10:02 +0000

On 2020-05-30 15:35, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
> On Fri, 29 May 2020 01:24:18 +0000 Greg Chicares <gchicares@sbcglobal.net>
> wrote:
>
> GC> On 2020-05-28 23:52, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
> GC> > On Thu, 28 May 2020 22:02:04 +0000 Greg Chicares
> <gchicares@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
[...]
> GC> You mention ellipsizing. I think I like truncating better. And 'excel'
> GC> only truncates--it never ellipsizes AFAIK--so ellipsizing is
> "nonstandard".
>
>  Oh. We've implemented ellipsizing support in wxGrid because this is how
> the existing wxDVC-based version works and while it's, of course, not a
> problem to turn it off now (it's literally a one line change in lmi code),
> this is still quite surprising to hear because I also remembered/thought
> that using ellipsization in the existing version was a conscious choice.
> As always, it's possible that I remembered wrong, but I definitely like
> using it more than just truncating personally.

If this were the 1980s and we were designing the first GUI spreadsheet
program, I would favor ellipsization over truncation, because it offers
a visual indication that a cell's full contents aren't displayed. E.g.,
if a cell contains my full legal name and shows as
  +----------+
  |Gregory W.|
  +----------+
then I don't know whether or not it has been truncated: perhaps that is
the complete text, representing a full first name and only the first
initial of a last name. But "Gregory..." would make that clear,
especially when "…" is used instead of "..." (as we already do elsewhere
in lmi, IIRC), because an ellipsis glyph is rare in spreadsheet data.

However, 'excel' has already made truncation the "standard" grid behavior.

> So I'd still like to ask you
> to test the current version, using ellipsization, before deciding whether
> you really want to turn it off. IMO readability is much better with it, but
> the choice is yours, of course.

Okay.

>  Out of curiosity, has anybody ever complained about or even just commented
> on the user of ellipses in wxDVC during all these years it was in use?

No.

>  To (re)summarize, I'm going to disable implicit auto-sizing for now and
> let you integrate the initial version of the patch before implementing the
> rest of the improvements/optimizations discussed here, which probably won't
> happen immediately, but at least I think I understand what needs to be done
> pretty well by now.

Good, thanks.