lmi

Re: [lmi] Creating a chroot for cross-building lmi

From: Greg Chicares
Subject: Re: [lmi] Creating a chroot for cross-building lmi
Date: Tue, 19 May 2020 19:51:07 +0000

On 2020-05-19 17:46, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
> On Tue, 19 May 2020 17:21:58 +0000 Greg Chicares <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> GC> On 2020-05-17 15:40, Greg Chicares wrote:
> GC> > On 2020-05-16 22:03, Greg Chicares wrote:

[... debootstrap --variant=minbase ...]

> GC> These are the files that are downloaded by debootstrap without
> GC> '--variant=minbase', and are neither in a "minbase" installation
> GC> nor added by lmi's chroot-building scripts (and therefore are not
> GC> required to build lmi successfully):
>
>  Interesting, normally the difference between minbase and the default is
> supposed to be that the former installs only the packages with the priority
> of "required", while the latter also additionally installs those with the
> priority of "important".
>
>  But while the output of "aptitude search '~i~pimportant'" here does look
> look similar to yours, it's not at all identical to it. Just in case you're
> _very_ curious, here is the diff between your list and mine:

[...snip all but lines beginning "+", which indicate "important"
packages that 'minbase' may be missing...]

> +adduser
> +apt
> +debian-archive-keyring
> +gpgv
> +less
> +libapt-inst1.7
> +libapt-pkg4.16
> +libgdbm3
> +libgnutls13
> +libopencdk10
> +libreadline6
> +libreadline8
> +libssl0.9.8
> +libssl1.0.0
> +libudev1
> +netbase
> +readline-common
> +sensible-utils
> +systemd
> +systemd-sysv
> +udev
> +vim-common

I'll keep an eye open to see whether I need to add any of those.
I certainly did have 'adduser' in my 'sid' chroot; and I explicitly
added 'vim-gtk', which IIRC pulls in 'vim-common'; but I don't know
whether any of the others above were present.

>  Some of "-" are probably just things that I've manually uninstalled
> (although I definitely didn't uninstall perl-base, it's just that it's
> "required" and not just "important" here), but I don't really understand
> why debootstrap doesn't install e.g. "adduser", as "apt-cache show adduser"
> does have "Priority: important".

'adduser' is invoked by lmi's chroot setup scripts, so it got
installed somehow.

After the debootstrap step, I 'apt-get install' a bunch of packages,
and save the log. For a very recent bullseye chroot, the log says:

Reading package lists...
Building dependency tree...
zsh is already the newest version (5.8-4).
The following additional packages will be installed:
[...many lines snipped below; highlighting some that occur above...]
  acl adwaita-icon-theme alsa-topology-conf alsa-ucm-conf at-spi2-core
  libgd3:i386 libgdbm-compat4 libgdbm-compat4:i386 libgdbm6 libgdbm6:i386
                                                   ^^^^^^^^
  libraw1394-11:i386 libreadline8 librest-0.7-0 librsvg2-2 librsvg2-2:i386
                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^
  libsqlite3-0:i386 libssh2-1 libssl1.1 libssl1.1:i386 libstb0 libstb0:i386
                              ^^^^^^
  mingw-w64-x86-64-dev netbase node-jquery ocl-icd-libopencl1
                       ^^^^^^^
  rake readline-common ruby ruby-minitest ruby-net-telnet ruby-power-assert
       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  sensible-utils shared-mime-info sound-theme-freedesktop systemd systemd-sysv
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^                                          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  systemd-timesyncd ucf udev update-inetd uuid-runtime va-driver-all
                        ^^^^
  va-driver-all:i386 vdpau-driver-all vdpau-driver-all:i386 vim-common
                                                            ^^^^^^^^^^

so I really do get quite a lot of the packages in your list when
I explicitly install higher-level packages that lmi needs.

>  Anyhow, this is probably not important all, but I just wanted to mention
> that maybe things are not as simple as debootstrap man page, which says:
>
>       The default, with no --variant=X argument, is to create a base
>       Debian installation with all packages of priority required and
>       important, including apt.
>
> pretends.

Yes, I come to the same conclusion. I even tried, briefly, to
read the debootstrap source code, but achieved no understanding.