lmi

Re: [lmi] Sharing git repositories

From: Greg Chicares
Subject: Re: [lmi] Sharing git repositories
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2020 22:28:59 +0000

On 2020-03-17 01:28, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Mar 2020 16:25:06 +0000 Greg Chicares <address@hidden> wrote:

[...FETCH_HEAD has wrong permissions in "shared" repository...]

>  AFAICS this does look like a defect in Git and I'll try to submit a patch

Thank you very much.

> GC> The instructions that you tailored to my use case above do work,
> GC> of course, yet even so there are differences--see commit b65f36fdca.
>
>  I guess this hasn't been committed yet, but I'll look at it later when it
> is.

Oops. Now I've pushed it.

I've also pushed commit 0eafcb048a, which adds a script comparing
two different ways of sharing a non-bare repository. Maybe that
shouldn't be done, but we're doing it today, and it kind of makes
sense in a use case where we keep an lmi repository in a server's
  /opt/lmi/src/lmi
and use it as a source of updated scripts to generate
  /srv/chroot/lmi-chroot-name/the-entire-lmi-universe
because we frequently pull to that repo but never push from it.
Anyway, for that case, I'm leaning toward the viewpoint that it's
better to
 - 'git clone' and then fix up the permissions, than to
 - 'git init --shared' and then generate a worktree, in which
     case we still have to fix up the permissions
but I'd be interested to know if you disagree.