lmi

Re: [lmi] debian chroot in redhat

From: Greg Chicares
Subject: Re: [lmi] debian chroot in redhat
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2019 18:05:05 +0000

On 2019-10-03 15:59, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
> On Thu, 3 Oct 2019 14:27:37 +0000 Greg Chicares <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> GC> On 2019-10-03 11:25, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
> GC> > On Thu, 3 Oct 2019 02:18:12 +0000 Greg Chicares <address@hidden> wrote:
> [...]
> GC> >  Are these warnings normal? I haven't seen either of them in my chroot.
> GC>
> GC> AFAICT, the answers are as follows:

> GC> Yes, that's normal. We used the low-level 'rpm', going behind the
> GC> back of the high-level 'yum'.
>
>  I see, thanks.

> follows:
> GC>
> GC> I'm afraid that might be a normal consequence, too.
>
>  Sorry, but a consequence of what, exactly? I have trouble understanding
> how installing a single RPM package manually (i.e. not using yum) could
> have resulted in this, and I don't see what else did we do differently.

That single RPM was EPEL, which AIUI is a big package-of-many-packages,
so I conjecture that some of its packages must have dependencies on
other packages that aren't in that RPM.

> GC> >  But, anyhow, the summary is that the required package should have been
> GC> > installed as a dependency of curl and there is still the question about
> how
> GC> > could you end up with curl but without nss-pem. However if your
> automated
> GC> > chroot installation script contains "yum install -y curl", it should
> work.
> GC>
> GC> I think 'curl' is not enough, and 'nss-pem' must also be installed.
>
>  I just don't understand this :-( If you use "rpm -qi --requires" on curl,
> you can see that it requires libcurl (doh). And if you run the same command
> on libcurl, you can see that it requires "nss-pem(x86-64) >= 1.0.3-5", so
> how is it possible that "yum install curl" doesn't install nss-pem? And, of
> course, it did install it for me...

Either the mapping from curl to nss-pem is "requires"...
  in which case yum didn't install dependencies recursively;
or the mapping from curl to nss-pem is "suggests"...
  in which case it violates the principle of least astonishment,
  and should be changed to "requires"--or at least curl should
  give a better error message.

>  If you're curious, could you please have a look at "yum history info NN"
> output where "NN" is the ID of the corresponding command, as seen in "yum
> history list" output? Maybe it will provide some explanation.

Maybe later. I've been destroying and recreating the same
chroot repeatedly in order to test it, so at the moment I
don't have any history to examine.