lmi

[lmi] Inversion of control [Was: Another large census error with group q

From: Greg Chicares
Subject: [lmi] Inversion of control [Was: Another large census error with group quotes]
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2018 23:49:12 +0000

On 2018-08-21 12:24, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
[...]
>  I know we've already discussed this in the past, but I still have an
> impression that you underestimate the benefit of centralising all the logic
> in a single place with the "template method" approach. Yes, it does require
> you to use either OO, with derived classes for each use of the base class,
> or lambdas (preferable nowadays), but IMO it's absolutely not such a huge
> disadvantage as you seem to believe. While the advantage is real, as we
> keep seeing again and again, with bugs due to the differences in the "same
> logic" implemented in different places.

No matter how many times I try to read that GoF stuff, I can't understand it.
But I hope that if we start with something that I certainly do understand and
feel sure you will too--i.e., commit f27b89f1--then you'll be able to show me
how intruding this control structure into page_with_tabular_report::render()
(as I hope we can do) would constitute this kind of "design pattern".