lmi

[lmi] Group-quote PDF: whitespace changes, and enhancement

From: Greg Chicares
Subject: [lmi] Group-quote PDF: whitespace changes, and enhancement
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2018 21:48:20 +0000

Vadim--We're testing group-quote PDFs, whose code changed as part of
the XSL replacement. Kim and I both notice minute whitespace changes
with HEAD vs. production releases, so first I'd like to ask whether
that was strictly contrary to your intentions...and then I'd like to
ask about a pure enhancement.

Context: If the "Insured Name" input that's copied into the "Participant"
column of a group quote is rather long, it spills into the "Issue Age"
column (as it always has). With a this datum [remove the quotes]:
  "Director, Global Solution Architecture" [see footnote below]
Kim used to have a slight space between the "Participant" and "Issue Age"
columns, but the space is no longer present with the code in HEAD. When
I ran it with both HEAD and a six-month-old release, I saw no space in
either circumstance--it looks the same to me, even if I enlarge both to
400%, and even if I use multiple PDF viewers (evince, imagemagick, gimp).
The only difference I perceive is that the whitespace block at the top
seems to be almost invisibly taller, but the difference is only about
one screen pixel (that's nothing to complain about; it's interesting only
if your intention was that not a single pixel would change).

Anyway, when I saw this, it struck me that letting "Insured Name" spill
into the next field isn't what spreadsheets would do, so it looks like
an error. And a really long "name" like:
  "President & CEO and all-around Real Good Guy"
produces output like this, more or less:

  Participant                  |  Issue Age
  -----------------------------|----------------
  President & CEO and all-aroun|d Real БⰝod Guy

because age "60" is overstruck with "Good". I think that proves that
truncation would be a good enhancement, at least for this "Name" field
and probably for the whole main table. I'm pretty convinced, but Kim
is lukewarm; what's your opinion?

Earlier messages on this list discuss truncation vs. wrapping, in the
context of the boxed "Summary", but I've found no discussion here of
truncation vs. overflowing, though it's clear that I had noticed small
overflows in the past and considered it okay. Now I'm inclined to change
my mind. This is probably quite deep in code that I'm not really familiar
with, so can you say whether it's easy enough to change?

[Footnote: the "Participant" field commonly contains job titles rather
than personal names, for reasons of privacy. We might hope that they'd
be reasonably short, but the title in the second paragraph above can
be found for multiple companies in a web search, and
  https://www.google.com/search?q=silly+job+titles
returns five million results, finding many titles that are even longer.]