lmi

Re: [lmi] How to create composite illustrations?

From: Vadim Zeitlin
Subject: Re: [lmi] How to create composite illustrations?
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2017 03:29:41 +0200

On Mon, 21 Aug 2017 18:08:20 +0000 Greg Chicares <address@hidden> wrote:

GC> On 2017-08-21 12:45, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
GC> >  Sorry for a probably very stupid questions, but how exactly can I create
GC> > composite illustration in lmi? I'd like to do it for testing illustrations
GC> > created using the new PDF generation code, but, embarrassingly, can't find
GC> > a way to do it from the GUI.
GC>
GC> Use a '.cns' input file: a "composite", being a summation across more
GC> than one cell, can exist only for a census, and not for '.ill' input.
GC>
GC> Pull down the "Census" menu and select any menuitem whose name begins
GC> with "Print case". You probably want "Print case to PDF" in particular.

 Thanks, this was indeed a pretty stupid question because I had definitely
used this menu item before -- but somehow forgot that using it for a census
would produce (several) illustration(s).

 Anyhow, now that I can test this, I have another question about composite
illustrations, perhaps slightly less stupid: what should be shown for them
in the numeric summary table? Currently it still shows "Age 70" for them
(if it exists), just as it does for the individual illustrations, and the
code in FlatTextLedgerPrinter::PrintNumericalSummary() does the same, so it
would seem to be correct, but I can't help wondering why do we speak about
the age here when I thought it was ill-defined in the composite case,
because age would be different for its different individual participants?
So to whose age 70 does this row refer to?

 Sorry in advance if this question turned out to be stupid again,
VZ