lmi

Re: [lmi] bourn_cast version 1.0

From: Vadim Zeitlin
Subject: Re: [lmi] bourn_cast version 1.0
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2017 16:16:48 +0200

On Wed, 19 Apr 2017 13:59:55 +0000 Greg Chicares <address@hidden> wrote:

GC> I've finally found time to finish bourn_cast to my satisfaction.

 Congratulations! I feel proud for having had the opportunity to assist to
this epochal undertaking as a spectator, and I guess your feelings must be
much stronger still.

GC> But our official goal is to keep lmi running for the next forty years,

 Wait, have I missed another end-of-world event scheduled for 2058? If not,
I do hope it can continue running in 2058 and beyond... although I'm not
sure if we're not going to have some problems at the half point between now
and then (lmi doesn't use time_t much, but I'm not sure if wxWidgets, for
example, is fully y2038-compliant).

GC> This is a good time to compare the performance of bourn_cast versus
GC> boost::numeric_cast. Here are median-of-three timings with gcc-4.9 on
GC> i686:

 I have some trouble reading this table as it has "boost" and "bourn"
columns, but also "static" and "bourn" rows. What exactly is found at the
intersection of the "bourn" row and "boost" column?

 In any case, I don't think the factor of 3 really matters here. If it were
300, it might be concerning...

GC> This work also gave me reason to study IEEE 754, which I had never read

 I admit that I haven't read it neither. You should leave your review of it
at
http://www.worldcat.org/title/ieee-standard-for-floating-point-arithmetic/oclc/259731234
as it doesn't seem to have any, for some reason -- maybe this will motivate
me to do it.

 Congratulations with finishing this once again!
VZ