lmi

Re: [lmi] Improving usability of automated tests

From: Vadim Zeitlin
Subject: Re: [lmi] Improving usability of automated tests
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2017 03:01:51 +0100

On Fri, 10 Feb 2017 01:34:00 +0000 Greg Chicares <address@hidden> wrote:

GC> > Good point: 'make' uses a series of asterisks, so I'll cause these
GC> > tests to use something else instead.
GC>
GC> commit a306d67

 I haven't tested it yet, but it definitely looks very nice, thanks!

GC> Now I run my magical command, and--annuit cœptis!--I get one of
GC> those spurious errors that would be prevented by that github
GC> pull request that I'm really, really not going to delve into
GC> now because I need to get back to input sequences:
GC>
GC> /opt/lmi/src/lmi[0]$make $coefficiency unit_tests 2>&1 | tee >(grep
'\*\*\*') >(grep '????') >(grep '!!!!' --count | sed -e's/$/ tests succeeded/')
>../log
GC> I'd welcome suggestions for further improvements, though I have
GC> little hope that any will be as helpful as those three backslashes.

 I am not sure I see any improvements, I think this could have been written
in a more straightforward way using awk or Perl, but use of "grep --count |
sed" works too, of course.

GC> Please let me know if you're using 'fancy.make' (no, I didn't
GC> think so)

 You were unsurprisingly correct.

 Thanks again for improving this!
VZ