lmi

Re: [lmi] Creating a chroot for cross-building lmi

From: Greg Chicares
Subject: Re: [lmi] Creating a chroot for cross-building lmi
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2016 13:20:48 +0000

On 2016-09-02 01:31, Greg Chicares wrote:
> Here, between scissors lines, is a quasi-script that successfully
> creates a debian-8 chroot and cross-builds lmi for msw there.
[...]
> --------8<--------8<--------8<--------8<--------8<--------8<--------8<--------
>
> # Substitute your system's $DISPLAY below:
>
> cat >/home/greg/.zshrc <<\EOF
[...]
> # At a regular user prompt, outside the chroot, do this:
> #   $ echo $DISPLAY
> # and replace :0.0 below with the string it returns:
> export DISPLAY=":0.0"

Now that I have a usable "plain" schroot, I'm going over all these setup
steps...and I question whether the one above one is necessary. At some
point, 'wine' failed to run lmi's GUI, so I followed this advice:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BasicChroot#Accessing_graphical_applications_inside_the_chroot
| You can run graphical applications within a chroot, but you need to
| provide an X server for them to run in first. ... in the chroot shell type
|   export DISPLAY=:0.0
| And in the system shell type
|   xhost +

[Actually, I used 'xhost +local:' instead, for security.]

However, now I think that's unnecessary--I just tried this:

  (host) $xhost -
  access control enabled, only authorized clients can connect

  (guest schroot) $unset $DISPLAY
  (guest schroot) $wine ./lmi_wx_shared.exe --ash_nazg --data_path=../data

and lmi's GUI worked. Am I missing something?

Perhaps that online advice is needed for 'chroot' as opposed to 'schroot'?
Apparently not, because this article:
  https://wiki.debian.org/Schroot
gives similar advice.

Maybe the advice is intended to support a chroot user who has no X privileges?

I know that at one point I tried restricting my schroot to an unprivileged
user, so perhaps that's the reason why I ever needed this advice (I don't
really remember).

Later, I decided to use the chroot as my normal user (with the same numeric
uid). I've installed 'wine' only inside chroots. I guess this exposes me to
an attack from msw malware that knows how to break out of a chroot using
only the API that 'wine' presents, in which case it could...access my home
directory on the host. I don't see any significant risk there, because the
only msw programs I'm downloading are programming tools, which are all
verified by md5sum before use; there's no internet browser or email program
in the chroot; and I'm deliberately not using binfmt to make msw programs
executable without explicitly invoking wine. But am I being naive?