lmi

Re: [lmi] Calculation-summary GUI test needs revision

From: Greg Chicares
Subject: Re: [lmi] Calculation-summary GUI test needs revision
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2016 22:01:58 +0000

On 2016-06-06 21:00, Greg Chicares wrote:
> Vadim, is it a simple matter for you to adapt the GUI test to
> this change, which broke it?

Belay that...

> commit 0a0b58859623c8bfd03fc31ec022b2e9ce2499ae
> Author: Gregory W. Chicares <address@hidden>
> Date:   Thu Jun 2 15:00:41 2016 +0000
> [...]
>     Because warnings are now given more frequently, the GUI test
>       ./wx_test.exe --data_path=/opt/lmi/data --test calculation_summary
>     no longer succeeds. It seems best to finish pending changes to the
>     Preferences dialog before modifying 'wx_test_calculation_summary.cpp'.

/opt/lmi/bin[0]$./wx_test.exe --ash_nazg --data_path=/opt/lmi/data
  No readable file 'configurable_settings.xml' exists.
  [file /lmi/src/lmi/configurable_settings.cpp, line 101]
...and then:
  Abnormal-termination handler called. Please report this problem.

It's not as awful as it appears: if I just
  cp -a ../data/configurable_settings.xml .
then it works as before. And...wait...

SUCCESS: 21 tests successfully completed.
NOTE: 4 tests were skipped

...so the test that seemed broken has become unbroken, and something
else is broken instead, though it's easily worked around. And...

>     It seems best to finish pending changes to the
>     Preferences dialog before modifying 'wx_test_calculation_summary.cpp'.

...I'm still experimenting with new changes to that dialog, so the
time is not yet ripe to fix the GUI test. Two tangential comments:

- These tests passed with my thread-enabled wx build, so I'll commit
that change soon. The automated GUI test earned its pay today.

- I'll tell you what we want, what we really, really want: a GUI test
that doesn't foul its nest by modifying 'configurable_settings.xml'.
With the silly workaround above, we have achieved that, in a way,
but not in a clean way. My usual procedure is:
  - run the GUI test,
  - go to /opt/lmi/bin/ where I ran it, and delete all the files it
    created as side effects, then
  - regret having erased 'configurable_settings.xml', which was
    modified as a side effect.
I should be more disciplined than that, but this is a mistake I keep
making.