lmi

Re: [lmi] Allow switching skin while lmi is running

From: Murphy, Kimberly
Subject: Re: [lmi] Allow switching skin while lmi is running
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2016 12:28:45 +0000

Greg Chicares wrote:

> On 2016-05-30 14:04, Greg Chicares wrote:
> Dynamic skin selection was the hard part; adding other members of
> class configurable_settings would be easy, and this is probably
> the best time to add any that we want. Here's a list of that
> class's members,
[...]
> That leaves:
>
>   default_input_filename_
>   print_directory_
>   seconds_to_pause_between_printouts_
>   spreadsheet_file_extension_
>
> which might be useful. Kim would have a better idea what end users
> might actually want.

Users would absolutely welcome the ability to change the print
directory, myself included. It saves user's time of moving files
after the fact. It’s been asked for so how could it not be a win.

Default files are built to coincide with a skin; only one file is
distributed. So, if I’m switching skins, the default file should also
change accordingly. Most users are probably not aware of this, I see
it more for myself and other experienced users. Users can change their
defaults, but few do.

That said I imagine the ability to swap default files could be very
beneficial, especially when going from one product to another. Let's
say, a user runs illustrations for two products. ‘Product A’
necessitates specific parameters with a different set required for
‘Product B’. It would be sweet to have two default files that the
user could easily swap out depending on the product they’re running.

As for the last two, IMO they aren't as big hitters as the print
directory, but are nice to haves. Altering the seconds in the GUI
is handy, though I don't know of too many users that would
utilize it. As for the spreadsheet extension, again it would be
handy, but not utilized by other than a few users.

This e-mail transmission may contain information that is proprietary,
privileged and/or confidential and is intended exclusively for the person(s) to
whom it is addressed. Any use, copying, retention or disclosure by any person
other than the intended recipient or the intended recipient's designees is
strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient or their designee,
please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and delete all copies.