lmi

[lmi] Locales

From: Greg Chicares
Subject: [lmi] Locales
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2015 04:31:19 +0000

Back in 2010, cygwin adopted upstream changes that caused
'grep' behavior to diverge from ASCII, so I followed the
recommendation here:
  https://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2010-12/msg00088.html
and set
  LC_COLLATE=C.UTF-8
so that [a-z] means {abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz}.

Now I'm using a very recent version of cygwin that has this
further upstream change:
  https://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2014-12/msg00356.html
due to which 'grep' now considers some lmi source files to be
binary. For example:
  grep -w SpecAmtLoad *.?pp
  Binary file ledger_xml_io.cpp matches
That 2014 message recommends:
  LC_ALL=C grep
which would override my LC_COLLATE workaround. Apparently I
could just set
  export LC_CTYPE=C
instead, and keep my LC_COLLATE setting; does that seem silly?

This also works:
  export LANG=C
Is that sillier, or less silly? I don't know what's considered
tasteful practice, and don't want to adopt something that turns
out to be outlandish.