lmi

Re: [lmi] Drill-down census editor observations

From: Václav Slavík
Subject: Re: [lmi] Drill-down census editor observations
Date: Sat, 2 Nov 2013 17:38:17 +0100

Hi,

On 2 Nov 2013, at 00:15, Vadim Zeitlin <address@hidden> wrote:
> VS> Customizing LMI's control to use Tab for navigation should be possible;
> VS> it's the interactions with open editors and the "normal" Tab behavior
> VS> that I'm worried about. Still, it's certainly worth trying.
>
> Yes, the situation here is very spreadsheet-like, so using TAB feels
> natural. I'd also expect Enter to work in a spreadsheet-like way (maybe it
> already does?

As far as I can tell, it does nothing -- Enter is "activate" key and there's
simply no handling of item activation in CensusView at all on the trunk. This
code is missing: http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lmi/2011-12/msg00016.html

We previously discussed using Alt+Enter to start editing:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lmi/2012-01/msg00015.html (because plain
Enter should remain the "activate" key:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lmi/2012-01/msg00010.html; the whole thread
is worth re-reading).

I don't think any of the patches I linked to here and in my previous reply will
apply cleanly anymore; the code on the trunk is significantly different from
the initial patches. Should I update the patches as needed (I'm not sure
whether they were just forgotten or intentionally rejected)?

> It cancels editing when you click outside, even if it's just to resize the
> column. On a slightly related note, it also always creates the editor big
> enough to show the entire cell contents, even if it means making it wider
> than the current column width -- which makes sense, IMHO.

Yes, it does. It would still be nice to size the columns so that it is not
necessary, though...

Regards,
Vaclav