lmi

[lmi] Drill-down census editor observations

From: Murphy, Kimberly
Subject: [lmi] Drill-down census editor observations
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2013 15:56:40 +0000

The following behaviors were noted testing the drill-down census
editor using revision 5767.

A. While testing various controls (i.e., textbox, radiobutton, spin
   control, etc.), I observed that the Product Name is text and not
   a drop-down list (as on the Plan tab in the GUI). This may be
   problematic to some users having to remember a products exact
   spelling and naming convention.

B. In the current production census view, data in columns with a
   fixed width are left aligned ('...' at the right); now, they
   are center aligned ('...' in the center). Initially, I was not
   enthusiastic about the switch, but after testing with it for
   a while, one gets used to it. My personal preference is to
   have as much of the cell's data in view from the beginning,
   as opposed to a little of the beginning and the end. Is this
   something that can be easily changed?

C. A double click of the mouse on the sizer of any column results
   in the same behavior as if I had selected 'Census | Varying column
   width'. The column width is defined by the longest field entry of
   all cells. This is good. I'd expect that if I were to edit any
   field, the full value would be visible to modify. While I found
   this to be true for numeric fields, it was not always the case
   with text, as the first character was cut off.

   Using the coli-boli skin, I'll illustrate with the following
   example:

   F | N | C
   Census | Edit cell
   on Client tab,
     change Insured name to 'Jean Saint Louis'
     change Address to '400 RELLA BOULEVARD'
   on Face tab,
     change Specified amount to '1000000 5; 2000000'
   on Payments tab,
     change Payment to '20000 2; 10000 4; 5000 #5; 0'
   OK

   In the census view, I observe:
    Address           400R...EVARD
    Insured Name            Jean S... Louis
    Payment           20000 ... #5; 0
    Specified amount  10000...00000

   Census | Varying column width

   Now in census view, the entire data in each column is in full
   view. Using the arrow keys to move across the cell with the
   expectation of editing the individual fields, opening each [F2]
   I observe:

   Address                 00 RELLA BOULEVARD
   Insured Name    ean Saint Louis
   Payment                 20000 2; 10000 4; 5000 #5; 0 [...]
   Specified amount  1000000 5; 2000000 [...]

   Text columns do not appear as wide as displayed. Although small
   differences are expected since users have unique devices (with
   varying operating systems and screen resolutions), can this be
   fixed so that when editing in the "varying" column width displays
   the full fields (at least when none is too wide to fit on the
   screen)?

To demonstrate the points "D" and "E", I cloned the 'sample'
product to create two new products, 'sample2' and 'sample3'. I'll
send these files privately; but briefly summarizing the variations:
  'sample2' is a general-account product, CVAT only
  'sample3' is a separate-account product.
My default file reflects the 'sample2' product; I'll send that too.

D. Different results were observed directly editing a cell versus
   'Census | Edit cell'.

   Again using the coli-boli skin, consider:

   F | N | C
   Census | Edit cell
   on Plan tab, change Product to 'sample3'
                change Definition of life insurance to 'GPT'
   OK

   In the census view, I observe:
    Definition of Life Insurance  GPT
    Fund Choice Type                Average fund
    General Account Rate            0.06
    Product Name                            sample3
    Use Average Of All Funds        checked checkbox

   Edit the definition of life insurance, changing it back to 'CVAT'.
   I then observe:

    Fund Choice Type            Choose funds
    General Account Rate        0.0425
    Product Name                        sample3
    Use Average Of All Funds    un-checked checkbox

    Census | Edit cell

    The following warning is presented:

    ---------------------------
    Warning
    ---------------------------
    Static initial values are inconsistent with rules:
      FundChoiceType must change from 'Choose funds' to 'Average fund'
      GeneralAccountRate must change from '0.0425' to '0.06'
      UseAverageOfAllFunds must change from 'No' to 'Yes'

    [file /opt/lmi/src/lmi/mvc_model.cpp, line 68]
    ---------------------------
    OK
    ---------------------------

   This doesn't make sense for this product. If I had changed the
   definition back via 'Census | Edit cell', the following census
   view would be presented, which I was expecting:

    Fund Choice Type            Average fund
    General Account Rate        0.06
    Product Name                        sample3
    Use Average Of All Funds    checked checkbox

E. In the last example, the credited rate had caught my eye. In the
   following example, switching between a non-current rate and the
   current rate, did not yield the expected result.

   F | N | C
   Census | Edit cell
   on Plan tab, change product to 'sample'
   on Funds tab,
     uncheck the 'Use current general-account declared rate'
     change the rate to '0.065'
   OK

   In the census view, I observe:
    General Account Rate        0.065
    Product Name                sample
    Use Current Declared Rate     unchecked box

   Let's say I change my mind and do want to use the current declared
   rate. Directly edit the census by checking the box 'Use Current
   Declared Rate'. I observe that the General Account Rate changes to
   '0.0425' and not '0.06', the current credited rate for 'sample',
   just as if I had done 'Census | Edit cell'.

   The rate was based on the product in my default file, 'sample2',
   even though I altered the cell's product. I did not make the
   product change at the case or class level, which also still
   reflects 'sample2'.

   Census | Edit cell

   I receive:

   ---------------------------
   Warning
   ---------------------------
   Static initial values are inconsistent with rules:
     GeneralAccountRate must change from '0.0425' to '0.06'

   [file /opt/lmi/src/lmi/mvc_model.cpp, line 68]
   ---------------------------
   OK
   ---------------------------

F. User-friendly date fields are a plus. In production, dates are in
   Julian. For example, an Effective Date of 'August 23, 2011' would
   appear in census view as '2456528'. Now, the census view reflects
   '08/23/11'. The cool thing is when the user invokes inline editing,
   the date changes to the format defined by the user's device short
   date format (found in the Region and Language settings). Thus, when
   a user goes into edit mode, they'll see a familiar date format,
   '08/23/2011', '2011-Aug-23' or as in my case, '2011-08-23'. While
   this is a good thing, it would be best to have consistency and use
   the same "short date" format all the time, whether editing the cell
   or not.

G. On a navigation note, I encountered no difficulties with either
   the F2 or Enter keys to start inline editing. OTOH, a double-click
   of the mouse did not work as I would expect. Nothing happens when
   I click twice quickly-- but two individual clicks (i.e., click on
   field desired for particular cell, then click a second time)
   enabled the inline editing. IMO, users will be less than pleased
   with this behavior. A double-click should do something.

   Left and right arrow keys rightly moved focus across cell lines. I
   personally kept hitting the Tab key to move the focus but it did
   nothing. I could utilize the Tab key was while in edit mode, to
   move the focus off the edited field to the next column. However,
   this behavior was inconsistent; sometimes the focus remained on
   the current edited cell and at others, absolutely nothing happened.
   It all depended which type of field I was on.

H. Using the right arrow key, the focus moves to the first column.
   However, if the census has only one column, no focus is observed.
   I do observe the focus with a census having at least two columns.
   I'm puzzled why this would matter. To illustrate:

   File | New | Census
   Census | Edit cell
   on Plan tab, change MEC avoidance to 'Reduce premium'
   OK

   Use the right arrow. No focus is observed.

   Census | Edit cell
   on Plan tab, change 'State of jurisdiction' to another state
   OK

   Again, use the right arrow. Focus is on 'Avoid Mec Method'.

I. Grayed out or unavailable fields in the GUI can be directly edited
   in the census view. I expected that they would be grayed out in
   some way to prevent editing. On an inforce extract for instance,
   grayed fields on the Inforce tab returned to the original value
   when I tried to edit them, while others changed behind the gray.
   This could be confusing to some users. If a field is non-editable
   in the GUI, I'd expect it to be non-editable in the census editor.

J. An oddity was noticed while experimenting with the column width
   during editing. The edit box did not expand/reduce along with the
   changing column size. Again, using the coli-boli skin, I'll
   illustrate with the following example:

   File | New | Census
   Census | Edit cell
   on Client tab, enter the Address:
     '1100 North Market Street, Apartment 828B'
   OK

   In my census view (which is a fixed column width), I observe:
     "1100 N... 828B" (there's a space before the eight)
   Note, in the varying column width view, the full address is seen.

   With the intention to edit, manually move the sizer to display
   more, but not the entire address:
     "1100 Nort...ment 828B"

   Edit the address (F2) -- the edit box reflects:
     "treet, Apartment 828B"

   Double-click the column sizer to widen and note that the edit box
   does not extend along with the column width, and only reflects:
     "treet, Apartment 828B"
   "et, Apartment 828B" is to its right in a gray background.

   I expected the edit box would expand with the double-click; as
   if I had double-clicked the sizer first, then directly edited
   the address.

This e-mail transmission may contain information that is proprietary,
privileged and/or confidential and is intended exclusively for the person(s) to
whom it is addressed. Any use, copying, retention or disclosure by any person
other than the intended recipient or the intended recipient's designees is
strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient or their designee,
please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and delete all copies.