lmi

[lmi] Can we rename lmi.rc or lmi.cpp?

From: Vadim Zeitlin
Subject: [lmi] Can we rename lmi.rc or lmi.cpp?
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2011 17:07:08 +0200

 Hello,

 I could build LMI with i686-w64-mingw32-g++ without too much problems.
Actually the only real problems I had were with the dependencies: for some
reason libtool flat out refused to create shared libraries for libxmlwrapp
(I should probably look at this in more details but I'm so sick of libtool
by now that I decided to postpone it...) and so I had to do it manually.
And I had to compile boost libraries by hand as well as bjam (compared to
which libtool seems like a great example of software engineering) doesn't
support (whatever its documentation pretends) cross-compiling.

 For LMI itself I ran into yet another problem with libtool which generated
a warning that became fatal because of -Werror that we use (see my
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gnu.libtool.general/11522 for more
details) but it was easy to work around. The only remaining problem was a
conflict between lmi.rc and lmi.cpp: I don't know how to convince automake
to use different object file names for them, it might be able to deal with
two source files with the same name in different directories but we use a
custom rule for lmi.rc (as automake doesn't support resource file directly)
and it doesn't do anything to prevent the lmi.o file generated by windres
from clashing with lmi.o created by g++. And unfortunately I couldn't find
any way to change the name of the file created by the custom rule.

 So the simplest solution by far would be to rename one (or both) of the
files. E.g. for now I renamed lmi.rc to lmi_msw_res.rc locally. Would it be
acceptable to do it "officially" or should I continue trying to look for
another solution?

 FWIW, in any case, i.e. even if I have to keep these changes locally, I'm
pretty happy as I can build LMI without any problems now with g++ under
Windows. Autotools build procedure with a proper cross- compiler doesn't
impose any restrictions on the paths on my system so I can continue having
my Boost sources on a different drive, for example. And I can also easily
use multiple completely independent build directories for building with
different options or compiler versions. But I'd be even happier if I could
rename this file in svn.

 Regards,
VZ