lmi

Re[2]: [lmi] an xml schema for (single|multiple)_cell_document file XML

From: Vadim Zeitlin
Subject: Re[2]: [lmi] an xml schema for (single|multiple)_cell_document file XML format
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2010 18:28:07 +0200

On Sun, 08 Aug 2010 16:28:55 +0000 Greg Chicares <address@hidden> wrote:

GC> On 2007-12-27 12:43Z, Evgeniy Tarassov wrote:
GC> >
GC> > The newer version of XML Schema files for cns/ill files could be
downloaded
GC> > from lmi project download area at savannah:
GC> > | http://download.savannah.nongnu.org/releases/lmi/cell_document.tar.bz2
GC>
GC> If we were doing this all over today, would XML Schema still be a good
choice,
GC> or is something else like RELAX NG or Schematron clearly better now?

 I'm not aware of any dramatic changes in the XML validation area since the
last 3 years so I'd be tempted to say no, i.e. that XML Schema still
remains a decent choice because even though RELAX NG has its advantages
over it (notably relative simplicity) it's still less standard/supported by
various tools than it. As for Schematron, I believe it's mostly used in
addition to either XML Schema or RELAX NG and not solely on its own anyhow.

 I could look more into recent developments in this area but, frankly, I
doubt that we're going to find any earth shattering revelations. IMHO it
would make sense to stick with XML Schema even if subjectively I like RELAX
NG "compact syntax" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RELAX_NG#Compact_syntax)
a lot.

 Regards,
VZ