lmi

Re: Re[4]: [lmi] InputSequence questions

From: Vaclav Slavik
Subject: Re: Re[4]: [lmi] InputSequence questions
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 16:05:20 +0100

On Wed, 2010-03-24 at 20:20 +0100, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
> VS> For the record, I considered a combobox-style popup too, but dismissed
> VS> it. Such popups only work well if the popup window is very easy to
> VS> control (e.g. select an item in the list or pick a date in calendar
> VS> control), but any more complicated editing -- as is the case here -- in
> VS> my experience quickly turns annoying.
>
>  I think I agree. But what about using a collapsible pane?

Collapsible pane is an UI element that is meant to be used exclusively
for progressive disclosure. That's not the case here.

Besides, there really is no space for such things in the Edit cell
dialog. Both the dialog and the sequence editor need moderate amount of
vertical space. To make matters worse, the sequence editor grows
vertically.

>  BTW, one problem with the dialog is that, being modal, it doesn't allow
> you to use the text control with the sequence representation and these
> broken down controls in the same time. I wonder if it might be useful to
> reproduce the text control here, e.g. at the bottom of the dialog?

I don't think so. This editor is, by definition, for people who *don't*
want to use direct input. Adding a text entry that nobody wants only
adds clutter. It would have to be dynamically updated, too -- even
worse.

OTOH, if the user decides that they prefer to enter the sequence
directly, the respective text input control is one Esc stroke or Cancel
click away.

>  Well, yes, this is exactly what I wanted to suggest. I must not have
> explained it properly, sorry. But now that we seem to have both come to
> this independently, do you see any problems with doing this (including the
> "auto-addition" part)?

Vague feelings that it may, maybe, be somehow problematic don't count,
so no, I don't. We'll have to see it in action, I think :-/

Regards,
Vaclav