lmi

[lmi] Anomalies with print preview

From: Greg Chicares
Subject: [lmi] Anomalies with print preview
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2009 22:28:16 +0000

Using RC6:
  ftp://ftp.wxwidgets.org/pub/2.9.0-RC6/wxWidgets-2.9.0-RC6.tar.bz2
and lmi HEAD as of 20090724T1414Z or later, I see the unexpected
behaviors described below. To reproduce, start lmi, then:
  File | New | MEC testing
  tab to "Comments" field and type about a hundred characters
    (I pasted "1234567890" ten times)
    [purpose: to make it too wide for landscape printing]
  click Ok
  File | Print preview

(1) This may be lmi-specific, but it baffles me: the icon in the
msw-xp taskbar appears to lose its top row and left column. They
should be black pixels, same as the bottom row and right column.
Instead, while the print preview is active, they're white; dismiss
the preview, and they turn black again. I don't see anything in
DocManagerEx::UponPreview() (in 'docmanager_ex.cpp') that would
cause this.

Anyway, this dialog appears:

| The document "Printout" doesn't fit on the page horizontally and will be
truncated if printed.

| Would you like to proceed with printing it nevertheless?
|
| If possible, try changing the layout parameters to make the printout more
narrow

(2) Could a period be added at the end of the last sentence, for
consistency?

(3) I anticipated that pressing Esc on this dialog would trigger
the "Cancel" button, but it doesn't.

(4) The "Cancel" button has an accelerator (alt-C); isn't it usual
for it to have none on msw (except, implicitly, Esc)?

(5) "Print" appears to have the same effect as "Cancel". I assume
that "Print" here should mean "proceed nevertheless", so I had
anticipated that I'd see a truncated preview. Instead, I see a
blank preview rectangle, and "Page 1 of 999" on the statusbar.

(6) Shouldn't "Cancel" close the print preview (as though its
"Close" button were pressed), instead of leaving the user in a
blank preview where I suppose he can't do anything useful except
press "Close" himself?