lmi

Re: [lmi] Inhibiting wxLog message buffering

From: Greg Chicares
Subject: Re: [lmi] Inhibiting wxLog message buffering
Date: Thu, 09 Apr 2009 03:31:34 +0000

On 2009-04-08 17:46Z, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
> On Wed, 08 Apr 2009 14:19:27 +0000 Greg Chicares <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> GC> I strive to flush wxLog messages immediately, because our users are
> GC> unlikely to click "Details" when multiple warnings are presented in
> GC> a single messagebox.
>
>  I wonder if using wxLog is a good idea at all then because buffering is
> one of the things it intentionally strives hard to do. I.e. why not just
> use wxMessageBox directly if you know that you always want to show the
> message immediately?

Thanks. I don't know why I've always used wxLog here, but it really doesn't
seem to make a lot of sense for my needs. I'll try wxMessageBox instead.

BTW, in include/wx/log.h I see 'wxGuiLog':

    // flush shows all messages if they're not logged immediately (FILE
    // and iostream logs don't need it, but wxGuiLog does to avoid showing
                                            ^^^^^^^^
    // 17 modal dialogs one after another)
    virtual void Flush();

which is a hapax legomenon, thus presumably a typo.

>  Please let me know if you think it's worth adding such feature to wxLog
> or if you prefer to just call wxMessageBox directly.

I'll experiment with wxMessageBox; that's probably what I really want.