lmi

Re: [lmi] Custom wxArtProvider affects html help toolbar buttons

From: Greg Chicares
Subject: Re: [lmi] Custom wxArtProvider affects html help toolbar buttons
Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2008 21:54:16 +0000

On 2008-10-06 20:15Z, Vaclav Slavik wrote:

>> Both patches have a nice effect: they cause html help to use
>> 'help-16.png' as its frame icon, whereas with the unpatched code in
>> HEAD html help uses 'lmi.png' as its frame icon.
>
> Was that meant to be 'help.png', or really 'lmi.png'? I don't understand
> how could it cause the latter...

I really did mean 'lmi.png'; however, now I think it's 'lmi.ico';
and I used "frame icon" incorrectly. Here's exactly what I see,
using lmi HEAD:

 - On the msw-xp taskbar, the 'lmi.ico' icon is used for lmi itself
   and also for lmi's wx html help. I.e., there are two buttons,
   side by side, both with a 16x16 "lmi" icon (I counted the pixels);
   the first has "l.." after the icon (for "lmi"), and the second has
   "H." after the icon (for "Help: Let me illustrate..."). The reason
   why I believe it's 'lmi.ico' and not 'lmi.png' is that it's crisp
   (it doesn't look like it has been resized), and the '.ico' file
   contains a 16x16 version while the '.png' does not.

 - The icon in the wx html help titlebar is apparently some default:
   a white rectangle with a blue bar across the top and a red pixel
   in the northeast corner. That's the real "frame icon" (if such a
   term is defined for msw): I had misused that term.

> Assuming the former, do I understand it correctly that this is perceived
> as a problem because scaling is then applied to the icon and it looks
> ugly in (MSW) titlebar?

That's not what I meant to say.

Without either experimental patch: frame icons for both lmi itself
and html help are crisp; neither looks like it's been resized. The
html help frame icon is apparently a default, described above.

With either experimental patch: no effect on lmi itself, but there's
a nice effect on html help--help's msw-taskbar icon and its frame
icon both become 'help-16.png', AFAICT.

> If that's the case,

It's not the case; nevertheless, maybe we should do this anyway:

> then I think the proper fix
> would be to
>
>  1. add support for icon sets to wxArtProvider
>  2. set help browser's frame icon as a set of icons of several sizes (as
>     any well-behaved app should do)
>  3. fix the same thing in LMI Unix version (MSW already uses a set; we
>     don't even need to extend XRC for this, even though it's something
>     nice to have independently of LMI)

...especially if we're not doing something every app should do.

>> Should I be doing something like the following?
[snip kludge]
> I think it's too much of a hack... I'd rather set LMI's toolbar size
> explicitly on MSW (because it's not using what passes for standard win32

I guess pre-vista msw tends to favor 32x32 and 48x48. However,
if we used even 32x32, then not all of lmi's current icons would
fit in one toolbar strip at 800x600 resolution. Maybe we should
consider multiple, dockable, user-customizable toolbars for the
future--wxAUI, perhaps?

> size), then would force the icons to the right size without having to
> overwrite the size in icons_monger. (I didn't try doing it yet, will
> do.)

Okay, sounds good.