lmi

Re: [lmi] expected behavior of TAB in database editor

From: Greg Chicares
Subject: Re: [lmi] expected behavior of TAB in database editor
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2008 16:10:03 +0000

On 2008-01-12 15:13Z, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 15:02:03 +0000 Greg Chicares <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> GC> so I can definitely say that the answer is (1):

s/definitely/absolutely/

> GC> And I doubt that any end user relies on the default behavior of
> GC> Tab in a spreadsheet
>
>  This really depends on the users. We did have quite a few complaints about
> people accustomed to the "EXample of Certain Egregiously Liked" spreadsheet
> that wxGrid didn't behave exactly like it so if your users have the habit
> of using TAB to change spreadsheet cells they could suffer from being
> unable to do it in LMI.

Thanks: that's exactly the sort of experience we need to weigh.
However [...]

>  But, again, if you think that your users are not irretrievably addicted to
> using TAB to navigate between the grid cells, then doing (1) remains the
> simplest and best solution.

The reason why I'm now absolutely confident about (1) is that
I ran our legacy application and found that its product-editor
grid followed (1), wrt both Tab and Shift-Tab. In ten years of
use, no one has ever complained about it AFAIK; at any rate, any
addiction to another behavior has been starved for a decade.